Saturday, November 26, 2011

Make Sure it's Inspiring


As we near the end of November, I am reminded that besides being a month focused on turkey, leftover turkey (and even some pardoned turkeys) some extra days off and giving Thanks, I cannot forget that this is also diabetes awareness month.

The 'I Challenge Diabetes' race team at the Canadian Death Race

An excellent time to communicate the seriousness of diabetes and the importance of diabetes prevention and control. With nearly 26 million children and adults in America living with diabetes, and another 79 million at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes, the disease is taking a devastating physical, emotional and financial toll on our country.

Pumps Rock at the No Limits Sitka Sound Adventure Swim post swim dinner

Yet, most Americans don't consider diabetes a serious matter. They feel it is someone else's responsibility; someone else's problem. That someone else, just happens to include me. I am one of the 26 million. That bit of news hit me 36-ish years ago. I had rocket high blood sugar (in the 500+ range), felt like I was in the walking dead club and got that very unwelcome news that I not only had diabetes but I somehow am striving for extra credit, with Type 1 diabetes, a lifetime chronic disease.


This tidal wave of news had a deep impact on me, of course, but also touched the core of the Nevins family. This disease would affect each member in the family in different ways. I am forever thankful for my loving and adaptable family and the support they have showered me with.


Our film, created on a kayak adventure, to inspire others


It made all the difference.


Receiving the Reifenstuhl Award for promoting community wellness


"Your life is your message to the world. Make sure it's inspiring."
~Lorrin L. Lee

I stumbled across this quote during late night Facebook manuevers. Life with diabetes has been a challenge but it has also been a truly amazing ride. I have chosen to chase and spread "inspiration".

Make sure you do the same.

Our sky diving event





























































1 comment:

  1. What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I've found It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & assist different users like its helped me. Great job.

    Feel free to surf to my blog ... play pokemon logo

    ReplyDelete